Organic Seed Alliance Field Intern
Organic Seed Alliance (OSA) invites applications from diverse candidates as we seek a field intern to support our mission work and help transform the food system starting with seed. If you are looking for a farm experience that expands your horizons, join us in cultivating a thriving four-acre research farm while receiving hands-on education in small-scale plant breeding, variety trials, and seed production. The primary responsibility of this position will be to support the daily field operations at OSA’s research farm located at the Finnriver Orchard and Cidery in Chimacum, WA. You will have the opportunity to participate in a season-long online seed production course. To learn more about the internship program, online course and OSA host farm please visit: https://seedalliance.org/seed-internship-program-organic-seed-production-course/
Responsibilities and Scope of Work (including but not limited to)
- General field work and cultivation – seeding, planting, field preparation, irrigation, weed and fertility management, and harvesting
- Assist in record keeping and documentation of supplies, seed sources, and field activities
- Participating in trial evaluations, harvests and data collection and summarizing
- Harvesting, cleaning, germination testing, tracking, and storage of all seed produced at the research farm
- Participate in and support outreach and educational activities both on and off the farm
- Assist in general organizational and maintenance tasks (both in the field and in the office)
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions
April – Oct 2021. Start date negotiable.
Flexible and negotiable. 16 – 32 hours per week.
Please send a resume and one-page letter of interest to Laurie McKenzie. Your letter should address your prior experience in farming and seed work (if you have any – not required!) and share why you are interested in pursuing this internship position. We will begin contacting applicants and conducting interviews in mid-March.