This seed enterprise budget tool was developed as a starting point to guide farmers who are interested in knowing the costs associated with producing individual seed crops on their farms. Enterprise budgets provide a snapshot of costs associated with a single crop for a single year and do not make predictions or forecasts for future years. However, they can be used to provide guidance for farmers who are considering investments in new equipment, training, or scale. Sensitivity analyses can be done by entering different values for any variable in the production flow. Each value in the tool can be customized, though common default values are provided for some calculations in the current version. OSA will be hosting trainings on how to use this tool. Join our newsletter to receive updates on these and other upcoming events.
This tool is part of a series of seed economics worksheets and webinars for seed producers. You may also be interested in the complimentary resources below.
Additional seed economics worksheets
Webinars from the Seed Economics Intensive at the 9th Organic Seed Growers Conference
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 1: Inventory Management
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 2: Choosing a Scale and Marketing
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 3: Working with Companies
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 4: Enterprise Budgets
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 5: Tracking Labor
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 6: Farmer Examples
Thanks to the Montana Department of Agriculture Specialty Crop Block Grant for support of the Seed Economics toolkit.
Use the button below to download the Enterprise Budget Tool for Seed Producers.