Farmers are constantly innovating to improve the health of their land and quality of their crops. Dana and Karin Jokela of Sogn Valley Farm integrate on-farm experiments and unique conservation efforts into their commercial organic vegetable production. Join hosts Organic Seed Alliance, Sogn Valley Farm, and The Good Acre for a field day to learn about these efforts and get inspired. Field day participants can expect to learn more about the following on-farm innovations.
- Sap analysis and fertigation of high-tunnel tomatoes. Sap analysis uses a plant’s sap to measure mineral levels and identify nutrient deficiencies, so that they can be corrected with custom fertigation treatments.
- Interseeding cover crops with vegetable crops.
- Trialing and breeding open-pollinated sweet peppers for adaptation to northern climates.
- Basic seed saving for farmers with Koby Jeschkeit-Hagen from Seed Sages.
- Flowering cover crop mixes for pollinator habitat.
Pre-registration is encouraged. Snacks and water will be provided. Please bring your own brown bag lunch. This field day is being offered free of charge thanks in part to a Minnesota Department of Agriculture Specialty Crop Block Grant and their AGRI Sustainable Agriculture Demonstration Grant Program.
Contact Kitt Healy with any questions.Register Now