Common questions around foundation, stock, and production seed are: How much foundation seed do I need to ensure I have enough stock seed? How much stock seed should I produce every third year for my production seed? The Production Planning Tool for Seed Producers is a simple excel sheet that helps guide decision making around how much and how often to produce foundation, stock, and production seed based on your operation, desired inventory, longevity of the seed, and estimated yield. A blank template and a real-world example are included as separate worksheets.
This tool is part of a series of seed economics worksheets and webinars for seed producers. You may also be interested in the complimentary resources below.
Additional seed economics worksheets
Webinars from the Seed Economics Intensive at the 9th Organic Seed Growers Conference
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 1: Inventory Management
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 2: Choosing a Scale and Marketing
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 3: Working with Companies
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 4: Enterprise Budgets
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 5: Tracking Labor
- Seed Economics Intensive Part 6: Farmer Examples
Use the button below to download the Production Planning Tool for Seed Producers.